Monday 17 July 2023

The Piller



As the cunning of the wolf,

That beast of vicious countenance,

A savage snap at the heel of my prey.


As the guile of the magpie,

A piqued curiosity quelled,

For the glint of gold and gem I spy.


As the stealth of the fox,

The blade scant seen in the night,

To despatch my victim,

And steal from them their life.


As the callous cutthroat,

In bloody fields my dark heart does swell.

To divest those poor souls of their riches,

I will secure my place in hell.


*


Pillers and robbers were come into the field, to pill and to rob many a full noble knight of brooches, and beads, of many a good ring, and of many a rich jewel; and who that were not dead all out, there they slew them for their harness and their riches.

Lucan The Butler



Image - The remains of warriors lie scattered on the battlefield of Tollense.

No comments: